[Netem] Change in delay behavior in new kernel versions?

Michael Gellman m.gellman at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 9 05:03:43 PST 2006

Hello,

I recently ran some experiments where I used a vanilla 2.6.12.2 kernel
with artificial delays on my links using netem. My results were very
reliable, with very low variance of the measured delays.

I upgraded to the 2.6.15.6 kernel earlier this week to get a driver fix,
and have so far been unable to repeat any of my earlier measurements.
The average delay is on the order of 10-20ms higher than what it should
be, with a very high variance.

I am currently trying to solve the problem, but wondered if anyone knew
of any changes in the kernel that could be responsible for this
behavior?

Many thanks,

Michael Gellman
--
Intelligent Systems & Networks Group
Dept of Electrical & Electronic Engineering